Thursday, July 23, 2026

Made it to Troy ... Illinois, that is!

 
Wednesday morning I watched the news reports of various levels of damage around northern Kentucky following the previous day's storm. Apparently, there were tornado touch downs in the area and a fair amount of damage to people's properties. My original intention was to ride two lane back roads over to the Kid's place in Troy, Illinois. However considering the likelihood of detours due to storm damage, and


against my preferred method of travel, I opted to hop on I64, which would take me just about to the Kid's front door. I usually avoid interstate travel on my bike trips for various reasons: (1) the amount of local travelers who are going to work can be intimidating at rush hour and (2) following signage through major metropolitan areas on a motorcycle can be challenging (especially for those of us who don't use GPS on the motorcycle). Taking I64 would require me to ride through Louisville, Kentucky. A large metro area I had never been to. 

Surprisingly, the metro area wasn't too bad, considering some of the other large cities I have had to navigate through on bike trips. But one of the views that really caught my eye were the bridges. Similar to Pittsburgh, another metro


area with a large river running through it, Louisville had several bridges spanning the Ohio
River. 
The river spans about 25 miles of the city's waterfront and reaches its widest point (one mile across) just north of downtown. One of the abandoned railroad bridges has been modified into a pedestrian bridge. The view was actually rather breathtaking. Unfortunately, it was not possible to just stop and take photos. I definitely would like to return there some time to get some photos of my own. And as I enjoyed the view, it brought tears to my eyes, thinking how much I wished my Buffalo was along for the ride so we could talk about it later, As you know, he rides with me in spirit these days, and I spoke to him as I choked up at the thought. 

The remainder of the ride to the Kid's place was uneventful, thankfully, with great weather and relatively light traffic. I will warn you that I64 has the wear and tear of constant truck traffic and the pavement is not in the greatest condition. To say that it beat the crap out of me


would be a good description of the road conditions. (And I asked the Kid what it was like to tow their 40ft plus fifth wheel on it, and she said it was a bitch.)

The afternoon was spent catching up with the Kid and visiting with some of the great grandkids. Treyveon was already at the Kid's place visiting and Bella and Elaina showed up with mom, Janae to visit for awhile. We sat out on the patio catching up and going over the plans for the wedding weekend. Yes, my oldest granddaughter, Jewel, is getting married on Saturday. Sadly, I missed one of my granddaughter's weddings during the Covid and I have always felt guilty about that. So I am relieved that I will be there for this one. 

Thursday is nail day for us gals and this grandma is actually going to get her fingernails done! Let's see how long I can manage to keep them on! hahaha.

Peace and Love all!

Bobbi

Kevin & Shani's place with their new 5th wheel

The pond at Kevin & Shani's place


No comments: