Monday, July 15, 2024

A Run Through Ohio Hill Country



Despite threats of severe thunderstorms by the weather people for July 15th, my planned departure date for my 2024 bike trip, I was still committed to meet my departure date. Fortunately, by the time I had packed up and threw my leg over the Road Queen, the day had a very promising outlook. I had planned to head south west on two lane roads, and work my way down to Zanesville, then head west towards Indiana. My intention was to sneak over to state line somewhere between Dayton and Cincinnati, avoiding interstates and large city congestion as much as possible. 
My first challenge was getting through Dover. For some reason, it seems like every time I ride into Dover, I can't remember how to easily get through to the other side and today was no different... I think I spent a good 45 minutes winding my way through that little town before emerging on the west side. Then I got snafued coming  through Zanesville and had to do some round about rerouting to get back on my intended highway! LOL 

Of course, the mercury was dancing around 90F and the sun was shining, with barely any clouds in site for most of the day. Around 3 o'clock, the color of the sky started to change very quickly and it was clear that the promised thunderstorms were about to make their appearance. I got on line and booked a hotel room 15 minutes away and high tailed it towards the lodging. Nearly there, the sky became black and bolts of lightning danced around the area. I missed the side street for the hotel and by the time I pulled into a gas station, a mix of rain and hail was upon me! I was less than a quarter mile from the hotel! Ugh
When I did get to the hotel, another guest had her SUV parked dead nut in the middle of the over hang in front of the lobby, so I had to leave my bike out in the rain to check in. She was clearly oblivious to the situation she left me in. 

All is well that ends with a hot shower and a Bob Evans dinner. Tomorrow, on to Indiana !

Peace all....

Bobbi







 

No comments: