Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Trip to a Different Kind of Museum


I attended a lecture and learning session about the new technology displays at the Cleveland Museum of Art this past week, which was fascinating. At the end of the lecture, we were given about 45 minutes to wander around the museum before being whisked back over to the Cleveland Expo Center for the Electro Expo, an electrical trade show that takes place every three years. I thought I would share some of the photos I snapped with my phone during my 45 minute whirlwind tour. I sooooo want to go back and spend an afternoon at the museum so if somebody else wants to go some weekend, give me a shout!  (Remember, if you want a better look at any of the photos, double click on it for a close up!)

OK, so I will start out with a very famous, almost instantly recognizable piece by the legendary Andy Warhol. I was drawn to this immediately because, well, I knew whose work it was!

Of course, this black and white print in the contemporary art section likewise caught my attention because of the subject matter! Who wouldn't recognize this character? If you told me you didn't know who this is, I would have to say: Doh!

There was also an impressive collection of oriental art sculpture work, although for some reason, just about every piece in this section, as well as other sections we visited, were missing their hands! I guess that is what breaks the easiest on sculptures? Not sure but there seemed to be alot of pieces without hands!

And speaking of oriental work, here is a very stoned individual. The captioning next to the photo tells you that he is smoking opium, dreaming about something unpleasant. If you look at the little cherub to the left, he is holding a knife!

 Oh mummy! There was a fascinating Egyptian display with several sarcophaguses. The amount of work that must have gone into carving and decorating these is amazing. On the one on display that was laying down, the artist added the bottom of shoes, with little scorpions on each side of them!

 When you think about how much a casket costs today, if somebody had to actually pay for something like this now, they would have to be extremely wealthy. Of course, I suppose that's why only the kings and queens had these!

There was lot of pottery and other pieces in the display but there was only so much time we had so it was sort of a brief visit to as many sections as would could in the time allotted.

There was a pretty impressive display of masks in one room. Of course, I think one would end up with a terrible headache wearing most of them for any length of time.

Most of the ones on display were carved out of wood with various other items added to them. There are more photos at the end of this piece so check them out.





Double click on the rock climbing piece of work here. It is an Escher - esque type of piece of work.

M.C. Escher was known for his artistic studies of space and would display impossible connections of people in different planes. Escher passed away in 1972 and, although the museum does have three of his prints in their collection, none were on display and this is not one of his.

Unfortunately, I did not have ample time to collect information on all of the items I photographed, which is why I am eager to return for a more lengthy visit.

S
C
R
O
L
L

D
O
W
N




The piece above in a Claude Monet original. I actually didn't care for it that much, however because it was a work by such a famous artist, I got a photo.

I was attracted to this sculpture from afar.

The metal sculpted glove holding the wooden construction of
a ball was mesmerizing. There was no credit given for the
piece either on the artwork itself or the stand it sat on.

It stood about fifteen plus feet high.

Very cool.

There was also an impressive collection of armor. This piece is from 1575. The combined armor of the rider and horse weighed in at 114 pounds. The poor horse! There were also suits of armor on display for children! Apparently, wealthy parents who could afford it would have the armor made so they could parade their children with them; also it was intended to get the little ones accustomed to the armor so they were used to it when they got old enough to go to battle.

This table caught my eye and reminded me of the master carpenter who is currently fabricating a couple of end tables out of my 200 year old salvaged floor boards.

This one is for you, Mike Lazusky!
 And here are a few more photos for you to see! Enjoy!




No comments: