Saturday, July 19, 2014

A Visit to the AMA Motorcycle Museum in Pinkerington, Ohio




another WTF is it...???
In the division of WTF is it, well you tell me!




Mostly just photos in this post. I did a day ride down to Pinkerington, about twenty minutes east of Columbus, Ohio, to visit the AMA Motorcycle Museum. Tucked away just off of I-70 in a beautiful park-like setting, the AMA campus is motorcycle friendly, with covered guest motorcycle parking and a sign in the driveway welcoming riders. Admission was $10 for non-members and I spent about an hour and a half going through. I did not stop to watch the two separate video displays, however I did take the time to read most of the plaques explaining the displays. I will admit, I spent far more time on the Harleys than on the dirt bike displays.
1926 Harley Davidson "Peashooter" built with the European market in mind

1914 Harley racing model. This motorcycle sold for more than three times the cost of a car at that time!



Leo Payne's "Turnip Eater", nicknamed for it's appetite for Triumphs. Set a land speed record for exceeding 202mph on Bonneville's Salt Flats for the first "non-streamlined" motorcycle to exceed 200mph.

Notice the springs and clips on the exhaust pipes? All of the dirt track bikes I looked at had these types of clips. Any clue on what their purpose is? (that's not a rhetorical question - nobody at the museum the day I was there could tell me)

This is Dave Barr's motorcycle. A double amputee, Dave has set numerous records and written books about his exploits on his motorcycle and his travels.
     
The Van Buren sisters road Indian motorcycles coast to coast in 1916, when roads were dirt and gravel! Two sisters of the wind who probably put most riders today to shame!

No comments: