Sunday, April 4, 2010

Traditions, Values and Who We Are

Isn't it funny, I have not been to church in probably twenty plus years, other than to pay my respects to those whom I have loved and lost. Yet, when it comes to the holidays that I relate to my childhood, I cannot help but celebrate them in some manner that also pays respect to my upbringing. Today I post this on Easter Sunday 2010. I didn't go to church this morning. Nor did I swear off some evil thing for Lent. Heck, I don't even remember what Lent is, other than I work with some devout Catholics (who probably don't have little children they entrust to the Catholic church) that remind me that they have given up this or that for Lent. I thought that's what New Years Day was about. Silly me.

But today I have actually set the diningroom table for Buffalo and me to eat at. We usually eat at the pass through from the kitchen to the family room, there is a little two seater bar there. But I got the good linens out and we are having honey glazed ham, candied carrots, scalloped taters, Pillsbury crescents (aren't those bad boys a staple of American holidays, eh?), applesauce and wine. Probably some Nadeau Family Vintners best, but we will see what we have that pares best with the dishes. My sissy, Bonnie, recommends a light red or a blush. But whatever we drink with dinner, it is a sit down be with family meal. And although there may only be the two of us, it is a tradition that we grew up with. And one that we cannot break free from.

To all my friends and family, Happy Easter, whatever that may mean to YOU and yours.

2 comments:

Domartello said...

beautiful Easter to you and all your family.
Life .Um hug.
Carlos.


Sugira uma tradução melhor

Bobbi Yum said...

Carlos, unable to find a translator for your Portuguese statement at the bottom of your post. Can you kindly translate?