Sunday, July 30, 2017

Not Enough Time for Everything I want to do...

I want to express my sincerest thanks to Kimmie and Gary for their hospitality and my true embarrassment and apologies to my high school buddy, Jeff, who I tried like hell to hook up with the last few days and failed miserably. OK, so let me explain ...

I didn't realize how bad I needed a down day on this trip until I got to Cousin Kimmie's and Gary's place in Decatur. I needed to do laundry and the bike was a fucking mess. I was more exhausted than I realized until I had a day off the road, to regroup in their beautiful home. I was glad to be able to clean my clothes, my bike, my body and my soul for a day... in really good air conditioning in a really nice home. Your hospitality was truly appreciated.

Then it only got better when we went out for some awesome BBQ at Big Bob Gibson's "world famous"BBQ
awards at Big Bob's
where it rained like crazy as we pulled in. Apparently, these type of toad soaker rain falls are common down there but this place still hasn't figured out how to drain the parking lot! LOL

The dinner was awesome. Kimmie and I each had these HUGE stuffed baked taters with shredded BBQ pork, butter, chives, sour cream and cheese. Kick ass good. 

I started loosing track of what day it was by now. I had to write down where I was to remember, which is a good indication that this whole vacation concept was working.

Thursday morning I left Decatur headed to visit an old high school buddy in Georgia. But I had no idea how scenic northern Georgia is and how far south he was from my starting point. And so, stressing about trying to meet up with him, I missed so many very cool photo ops along the way. Not blaming anybody but myself for trying to cram too much trip into too short of a time.

Me and Scot and Angie
And so, twice, I apologize for my failure to adequately plan my trip. But in the end, isn't that what road trips should be? Too much to see and do and not enough time and so, hey, what the fuck, let's come back next year?

But life goes on, and I made my way to Lumberton, NC for an unexpected visit with my brother and sister of the wind, Scot and Angie, a pair of NE Ohio transplants to the south. Wow it was hot down there. Just saying. No, really, it was HOT. And the traffic to get there was something else. Route 74 out of Charlotte was a parking lot for what seemed like miles, especially sitting on the bike. And driving the outer loop around Charlotte was like the Indy 500! Some scary stuff too.

I made it there and Scot found some room for my scooter next to his for the night and we spent the evening drinking a bullshitting like bikers do. Unfortunately, Saturday morning came and I had to keep moving. A brief downpour while drinking coffee on the patio was the start to the day and I suited up in rain gear because the weather forecast indicated I could be riding in rain most of the day. I had originally wanted to back track up 74 to hit the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley, NC before jumping on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but after suffering the traffic the day before, I decided that was another road side
attraction that would have to wait until my next southern foray. So I headed in a more northern route, jumping on US 421 just forth of Fayettville. I got to see the exit for Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base, where my sister, Bonnie, was stationed for four years, along the way. By the time I hit 421, it looked like I might just dodge the rain! About half way to the parkway, the weather cleared and I was able to take off the gear!

I hit the Blue Ridge Parkway outside of Boone, NC around 2pm on Saturday and the Parkway was full of motorcycles. As I remember, the views were incredible. I don't remember the year, but the last time I rode the parkway was with Buffalo on my 2000 SuperGlide. I have a photo from that ride on the wall in my office. So it was with some tears and smiles that I rode as I spoke softly to him and told him how much I missed him and how much I wished he was here for the ride. More to follow tomorrow. I will leave you with a few more pictures. Peace...Bobbi


Playing the dolcemer at the visitors center ... this kid was very good at it too.
at Scot and Angie's in Lumberton, NC
all my friends know the salute! LOL

3 comments:

Angie Beggs said...

What a wonderful unexpected stop was great to see you girl friend

Bobbi Yum said...

next time we ride together!! Love ya!

Jeffrey C. Nichols said...

Looks like an awesome trip. Love the Blue Ridge pkwy!