Tuesday, July 2, 2013

OZARK MOUNTAIN HOME

This morning I woke up way too early, damn it. As much as I wanted to sleep in, to do the vacation relaxation thing, it wasn't happening. You all know that I wake around 4am, leave for work around 5am and am usually at my desk by 6am... well that ol' internal alarm clock nudged me at 3:45 (even though it was midwest time... I mean, WTF??) and I made myself lay in bed until 6am, when I finally gave in and dragged my ass out of bed. I did, however, enjoy the perfunctory vacationing
YEAH, I CRIED HERE A LITTLE... MISSIN' BUFFALO...
ritual of two cups of coffee from that little piece of shit coffee maker in the room, then wandering  but down to the breakfast, where I had a belgium waffle in Buffalo's honor. When we used to stay at places that had the waffle maker, I never ... really, never once, had a waffle. For one thing, there was usually a line of people wanting for one, which I thought was a little weird, since there was plenty of other food. But this place had (ok, don't be shocked) turkey sausage... I mean, really, I am on vacation, I don't want turkey anything! I want pig and cow and I don't want to know where it comes from, I just want it cooked by somebody else and served up, with the grease drained off. That just sounds so American, I am feeling very patriotic right now! LOL

So after enjoying my waffle, I wandered back to my room, watched the morning show, sent out emails, checked Facebook, read USA Today, I mean I was totally doing to vacation morning thing! It was awesome! Oh wait...it gets soooo much better... as in blue skies!

ON THE WAY TO EUREKA SPRINGS
I packed up and headed towards downtown Branson, figuring to check out this tourist trap, What a nightmare, and it was only 10:30 in the morning! I found a kitchy tourist shop, picked up some stupid stuff to prove I had been there, then headed south on 65 after inching through for a half a hour to get there! Before I got there, I passed three or four of the coolest miniature golf courses I had ever seen. I couldn't help but think about how much Buffalo and I would have enjoyed that one thing in this warped tourist trap... we loved to play miniature golf and I will probably spend the rest of my days looking for a friend who can enjoy this silly little distraction from reality the way my Buffalo did.

THE SCOOT AND THE CABIN
I hit the Arkansas state line about fifteen minutes later and, although the flood of emotions was heavy on my heart, standing on the highway forced me to hold it together. I found
MY BUFFALO IS WITH ME ON THIS JOURNEY
Arkansas route 14 about five miles down the road, a route I had mapped out before departing. Route 14, like almost every other road in this part of Arkansas, is a twisty, turning motorcyclist's Nirvana of a ride and I found myself leaning into the bends as if my Buffalo was part of me. I eventually came to Route 7 and headed south to Jasper where I checked in to Little Switzerland.

I unpacked, then rode up to Eureka Springs to pick up some Syn3 at the Harley shop, only it wasn't a real Harley shop, but a t-shirt shop but, thank goodness, had oil in the back room! I mean, really? I stopped at the rest area to pick up some
MOTORCYCLE MAPS FROM THE VISITOR CENTER
motorcycle tour maps where I chatted with the nice man at the visitor's center. He asked where I was from, where I was headed... and the last thing I said, as I choked it out, walking out the door, was that "we" had been here before, my husband and I, and that he had just passed away... and that was all I could get out before waving good bye. It is supposed to get easier, right? Isn't that what this is about?

Tomorrow, wash the bike, eat at the Jasper diner...
DINNER TONIGHT

Peace....Bobbi


2 comments:

Jeffrey C. Nichols said...

A bitter sweet journey. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

rottgirl said...

I like miniature golf... ride safely sis. I know Buffalo is watching out for you the entire way.