Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Best Laid Plans...

Greetings from Decatur, Alabama!

After spending a night in Clarksville, Tennessee, I would head south on the Interstate and ride through Nashville. I am not one to enjoy big cities on my motorcycle, so I stayed on the highway through the country music capital. I got through there early on Friday morning, so traffic wasn't too bad. However I can tell you that those folks in Tennessee don't feel any necessity to follow those speed limit signs! LOL

About 75 miles out of Clarksville, I spotted an exit with a Harley shop and a Cracker Barrel and decided to grab some chow and check my oil (and yeah, look at tee shirts, too, ok?). At Cracker Barrel, I reached into my saddle bag for my cell phone and...no phone! I searched frantically, then remembered I had taken it out of my pocket before leaving the hotel, to use the bathroom one last time! Those who know me, know that I carry two phones, one smart phone and one little flip phone and this time, having that little flip phone came in damn handy! I called the Fairfield Inn and spoke to Melinda, who went to my room and found my phone. I then spoke to our office angel where I work, Mary G., who made arrangements to have
my phone Fed Exed to my destination in Decatur. And I found my phone in a box on the porch Saturday afternoon! Thank you ladies. One disaster averted, but there was more adventure to come.

Saturday morning after coffee with Cousin Kimmie and her gracious husband, Gary, as my hosts for the weekend, we were headed out on the bikes for a day ride. Friday night we had checked out routes and had it all figured for a scenic ride up to the Rattle Snake Inn for lunch, then a visit to the Music Hall of Fame near Muscle Shoals. We rode some beautiful, scenic two lane black top, stopping a couple of times for map checks, before finding ourselves on the last leg up to the Rattle Snake. 

I was watching my gas gauge as I knew I was getting close, but had a
the view from our table
least 50 to 70 miles left. Gary had assured me at our last stop that he was good too. So I was a little surprised when he abruptly pulled into a rural gas station with ancient pumps. And as we studied the situation, he informed me that he was almost out of gas. Well, as luck would have it, so was this particular gas station! And thus began an hour and a half ordeal of trying to get some gas to get Gary and Kimmie to the next working gas station. Calls to Geico's roadside service were useless and we almost had it arranged with my AAA Plus until they informed me that the gas delivery wasn't included for motorcycles as my Plus plan wasn't the
Cousin Kimmie, me and Gary
Platinum plan that covers motorcycles. WTF .... anyways, about then, a local boy comes wandering up, we discuss our dilemma and he informed us that a buddy is bringing him gas because he ran out in his pick up truck up there too. We piggy backed off of his gas delivery, fueled up and finally headed on for lunch at the Rattle Snake. 


Food was "OK" after waiting nearly an hour after ordering, but it was worth the visit. By the time we ate, then gassed up, it was look late for the Music Hall of Fame and we headed back to the house, skirting the typical afternoon thunderstorms. Saw some beautiful rainbows and just got a wee bit
the taxi to the restaurant
wet on the way. Sorry the pictures aren't better. But the restaurant was pretty cool to see.  Here is a link to their website to check out: https://www.rattlesnakesaloon.net/s


Peace all. 

carvings at a shop up above the restaurant

2 comments:

Amy said...

WOW, what an adventure!

Bobbi Yum said...

hahaha... like some of the ones we have been on?