Friday, July 6, 2018

On My Way again

Well, I had a great time visiting with the kids and grandkids this week. I only get to see them once a year and the time goes so fast. After hanging on the boat all day and July 4th, we went back to the house and played some ping pong. I was too bushed to go see fireworks (not to mention we used to see them every night from Memorial Day to Labor Day from our house when we lived in Anaheim, California, about a mile north of Disneyland.)

July 5th the house was quiet, with just me and the Kid. We had coffee together and sat and talked awhile while I slowly packed up my gear for the ride out. 

It was promising to be another scorcher and I was not nursing a bathing suite sunburn on my shoulders. I had put sunscreen on my snow white legs while we were out on the boat but forgot about the shoulders and the reflection from the sun. So I got it good.


Before heading out, I shot a photo of my current bike next to the Kid's Sportster, which was my very first bike! Have no desire to ever ride that old girl again, but it does bring back some nostalgia. Loved that bike so much all the time I road her.

So I headed south on Illinois route 4 around 8:30am and had put on over 150 miles by 11am that morning. All two lane, catching Illinois 146 west to Illinois 1, which ends at a river. My trusty Rand McNally (GPS for old people) told me I could catch a free ferry ride from the north side of the river in Illinois to the south side of the river in Kentucky where I would pick up route 9. Probably the worst part waiting in the blistery sun for the ferry to work it's way back to us and unload before we could load up. But the cool thing is that ferry operators like to put motorcycles in the front so I got a front row view on the way across! 

I found my way to the Land Between the Lakes, a national reserve the runs from Kentucky to Tennessee and was a beautiful ride. There is a buffalo reserve there that you can drive through if you are in an enclosed vehicle, which, obviously I wasn't. I heard this morning on the news that some moron got out of his car there yesterday and got attacked by one of the buffalo. Idiot...

Actually the entire day was a nice ride. I love going through the little towns along the way. And since it was right after the fourth of July holiday, most little towns had old glory lining the main street. Really makes you feel proud of this awesome country we live in. We may have our problems, but there is still no place else I would rather live.

As I made my way into Clarksville, TN looking for lodging, the skies became ominous and lightning bolts and rolling thunder off in the distance did not bode well. Working my way towards the cluster of hotels along the interstate (which I had been avoiding, but where I knew the hotels and motels would be) Mother Nature finally let loose. I found a gas station, suited up and trudged on until I found a place for the night. All in all, a great day riding.

Looks like rain in the forecast for my Friday so I am making a bee line to Decatur. Wanted to check out the Nachez Trail but I have no desire to ride in the rain all day and I have hosts who kindly took the day off in anticipation of my arrival. So on I go.

Peace all and have a great weekend!

 

 

No comments: