Thursday, July 21, 2016

OMG - I survived the UP and Lived to Tell about it... barely

I am living proof that life does exist after high school. A very very long time after high school. Because two days ago I saw somebody I had not seen in forty plus years. And it was like it was yesterday again.

I came down the Canadian tail of the dragon in the rain... oh yeah, I already said that, right? So I
My view in my room in Thisselon, Ontario. Dump motel but nice view
found the first lodging accommodation available at the end of the highway and checked in. Thank goodness my lifestyle affords me that opportunity these days... years ago, it would have been looking for a campground or the best affordable accommodations.This place had food and I already had adult beverages for the evening so I was happier than hell to get out of the rain.

In the morning, I stopped at the front desk to inquire whether the local gas station or the one down the road was the closest, only to be informed that the local station had closed down. Lesson learned... don't count on the conveniences we enjoy in the states.

Theresa and Chloe
Up with sun, gone with wind... Oh yeah, I am not living the Bob Seger songs... forgot. Sorry. LOL. But yeah, I was on the road by 8am the next morning looking forward to hitting my American soil. Ran through customs without a hitch, over the bridge, and into the UP heading for Don and Theresa's place between Marquette and Big Bay.  I knew Don in high school , dated briefly, but we shared a love for bikes. He introduced me to his beautiful wife over the internet and Theresa and I were instantly connected. But it wasn't until I met her in person that I realized that we could totally be good friends. OMG, we laughed at all the wrong things !!!

Don's Property

Don was kind enough to have my favorite on hand
First stop was Don's business in Marquette, where he sells used cars. It was very busy when I stopped by and he was in a pissy mood since two of his employees had called off that day, so he couldn't leave when I got there, which he was hoping to do. We visited for awhile then he gave me directions to his place, which I would never have found if he hadn't had Theresa park her car at the end of the driveway! 

By the time Don got home, Theresa and I had settled in on the back deck and were having a great time. The three of us spent the evening bullshitting and talking bikes, bike trips, old school stories and the stuff you catch up on after forty years. Theresa made a great dinner and we drank way too much alcohol. Go figure...

Tuesday morning, Don had a quick appointment, so Theresa took me for a drive in the convertible to Big Bay for a short hike and to see the local lighthouse, which is now a B&B and for sale for about $800K.

When Don got home, he pulled out the Road King and we all went for a ride out to Grand Morais. Don and Theresa were cool enough to stop at the touristy places for my benefit, including a place that I think is called Lakenden, where a local fabricates sculptures and displays them around the property. Very interesting. This guy has the place completely open to the public, including a beautiful picnic pavilion and restroom facilities. According to Theresa and Don, he operates the place 100% on voluntary contributions, but I didn't even see any thing asking for donations. Could have spent more time there, but we had pavement to burn.

Me and Don

Don and Theresa



 We made our way to the "end of the road" in Grand Marais for beers before heading back, making a couple of more stops on the way. I think we got back to the house around 8:30, and Theresa spread out a buffet of left overs and we pigged out. It was a great, home made meal (again) followed by more drinking. Fortunately we finished off the whiskey some time shortly after midnight, which encouraged us to get our old asses to bed.

The next morning, it was a consensus that it is a good thing I don't live closer because none of us would survive it long! LOL

Don ad Theresa were kind enough to offer another night's stay, but I didn't think any of us could handle a third rough morning! I am pretty sure Don went back to bed after I left!
Road Dinner
And so Wednesday morning, I packed up and hit the road again. I decided to follow two lane black top as much as possible for the rest of the trip, so I hit state route 13 south heading south. The first half of the road was in great shape and a fantastic ride, but the second half was in very rough condition from logging trucks, I guess, and beat the shit out of me.

Ship loading coal in Marquette
After crossing the Mackinac Bridge, I exited the interstate and followed two lane black top, down a highway nick named the tunnel of trees. My faith in humanity was restored along the way. I had stopped to stash my jacket and had both a lone motorcycle rider and a car with a family of four stop to see if I was ok. I eventually made my
way back to the west coast of Michigan's lower, where Don says they call the people "trolls" because they live below the bridge! LOL



Thursday I head further south to encounters unknown. Thanks to Don and Theresa for your hospitality. Hope you get over the hang over!

Peace.

Bobbi




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn good update and great pix. I especially like the one of you and Don giving the salute. Seger wrote some of his songs based upon you and Buffalo. :-)

Bobbi Yum said...

Thanks, bro. I had so much fun with those two.

Bobbi Yum said...

Thanks, bro. I had so much fun with those two.

Jeffrey C. Nichols said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeffrey C. Nichols said...

Great story, great memories! I made a similar trip once. Survived.