Friday, July 15, 2016

BOBBI'S 2016 ROAD TRIP BEGINS

Hello all from the road.

True confession... When I packed up the bike on Thursday morning, I had jitters. I have had them the last two solo runs I did when I first started. It is a question of whether I should be doing what I am doing, on my own, and the thousand "what ifs" start playing out in my head. And just like the first couple of solo runs, I shook it off and said, ""Biker up, girl..." and hit the road. And as the pavement and miles melted behind me, the zen experience enveloped me, and I left the doubt and inhibitions behind. And I fell into the women I became after 30 plus years of road running. It is a humbling experience, facing your challenges head on. It is an empowering experience living them.

My first night trying to post was frustrating. My little POS Acer notebook was having issues and I thought it was finally done for. However tonight, it healed itself and we are back in business !

My first day was relatively uneventful and mostly (no, bullshit) totally Interstate. I ran I80 into Indiana and then north on 69 into Michigan. Now I will say that once I got around Lansing and onto 127, the ride was nice. Really pretty scenery, traffic was reasonably light and the temperatures climbed into the mid-80s, allowing me to run in a tank top most of the day. I finished up my day in Grayling, Michigan, a small town with alot of Mom and Pop motels, one of which I found on the web called Fay's. With a cabin like atmosphere, and a fire pit out back, I settled in and found myself spending the evening bullshitting with a couple from somewhere else that I no longer recall. We talked about the times and the state of our country, the drug epidemics, the state of affairs, all in a very light and non-judgemental ways, something so hard to do in these times. And it was one of the greatest ways to start a vacation. We talked way after sundown. It was totally what vacation should be.

Of course, Friday morning I awoke to a wet motorcycle and pavement and dark, gray, threatening clouds and thought it was going to be a bad day. I found my way to the local diner, chowed down on some biscuits and gravy and hit the highway, bundled up and still cold. I was seriously wondering if I had made a very bad choice about going to Canada. The skies were not clearing and I was getting a bit depressed.

By the time I crossed the Mackinac Bridge, I became seriously nostalgic. I cried as I rode across, thinking about how much I wished my Buffalo was running with me. I actually had to stop at the visitors center and pull myself together, it was that raw. 

And I almost did the same thing crossing into Canada but I worried they might think I was a terrorist if I was crying so I bikered up again. LOL

Once I got on route 17 north and worked my way out of Sault Saint Marie, the scenery was spectacular. My head should have been on a swivel stick!The weather broke and the sun peeked out and I was so happy I decided to carry through with my plans!

But because I did not make any reservations, I am flexible. And my plans have now changed! More tomorrow!!!! I have an 8am kickstands up with a new group for a day of riding ... You, my friends, will be surprised! Peace. Live life like you mean it!!!

Bobbi


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Sis. Sounds awesome. Remember to shoot pix for us home-bound old farts. Wish I was there with you. I am in spirit, you know. Love ya - - Bro