Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Land of Lincoln bound...

Saw these photos all the way across Indiana and had to have a photo.
Peace all from Troy, Illinois. 

On Sunday, July first I took off at about 6:15am from Yellow Springs, OH. The forecast for the day was hot... I mean, when you're straddling a 103 inch motor between your legs, that hot forecast takes on a whole new meaning. I had ice water in my Swell bottle (compliments of my sissy for my birthday a few years ago...and I use the hell out of that and swear by it), but the ride was ... hot. I made my way to Cincinnati by 8:30 for a kick ass breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Just so you know, they have a limited time breakfast of beef brisquet with BBQ sauce on home fries that was to die for! If you get a chance to try it, go for it. Totally worth it. 

So I rounded Cincinnati on a Sunday morning on the bypass and the traffic was light. I wasn't sure how bad it would be. Last year on my bike trip I came into the metro area and traffic was a mess. Typical urban bumper to bumper crap that left me sweltering in my rain gear. Sunday was a breeze, flying through the north outer belt around the city that pleasantly opened up to a beautiful ride before hitting route 50 again on the other side. 

And then, I was in Indiana. There was actually some very pretty riding along US 50 there once I got out of the border cities. I was smiling and wishing my Buffalo was along for the ride. The temperature was starting to inch it's way up
Indiana US Senator Joe Donnely
the mercury and I was stopping on a regular basis for hydration. And I was following a Buffalo trace. Now, you all know that one of my favorite adult beverages is Buffalo Trace whiskey, distilled along side highway 127 in Kentucky. Last year I stopped and toured their distillery. So a buffalo trace is a buffalo path that was well known. They always followed the same path. However this road I coincidentally followed on this trip has a bit of history.


"The Buffalo Trace (also known in Indiana as the Vincennes Trace), extending through southern Indiana between Louisville, Kentucky, and Vincennes, Indiana, is an example of what today is considered a‘lost” road. What began, as a natural migration route for American bison or “buffalo”
Shani (aka the Kid), my handsome grandson and Grandma
from the grasslands and salt licks of Kentucky to the prairies of Illinois became a Native American trail. Later the early American settlers used the Buffalo Trace to move livestock, facilitate commerce between Louisville and Vincennes and ultimately to settle the Northwest Territory. Lewis andClark, George Rogers Clark, Abraham Lincoln, and Benjamin Harrison traveled sections of thisroad. Today it is part of the newly designated Historic Pathways National Scenic Byway." If you are so inclined to learn more about this little known part of Americana, check out this link, which is where I am quoting the above from:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5444947.pdf

Harley on my Harley
This, my friends, is why I do what I do. How much of this country do we know really? It is so large and so full of mystery and adventure and unknown treasures ! How blessed are we to have the opportunities to explore the rich and beautiful history of this place we call home! I find something new and unique and awesome every trip. I am so lucky to do what I do and share it with YOU!! And I wrote all of this so I could explain why I stopped on a highway, to take a photo of my motorcycle, by that sign.

So along the way, I got to experience my first and only "whistle stop" tour from a US Senator! Yes, the one and only Joe Donnely (who?) stopped by an ice cream shop while I was soaking up a rootbeer float to do some hand shaking. I have been a registered voter for almost 40 years now and have never ever been in a place where this happened. And it did in Indiana. So he comes up to me, reaches out his paw and I shake his hand, smile and say, I am from Ohio so I have no clue who you are. And in a very politican manner, he smiles shakes my hand and says, I am a US Senator. I said, good luck to you. 

Harley & his girl Hailey
Brotherly Love
I had figured it would take me two days running US 50 from Ohio to the Kid's house in Troy, Illinois, where I was hanging for the 4th of July holiday. Three hundred miles down the road, I realized I was gonna make it there in one. A 410 mile ride on highway in lieu of Interstate, but it was cool. I would rather see silos than semis any ride. No matter the miles of corn and country. Get gas when it was there because the next stop may be many miles away. Same for food, but it was so frigging hot and humid, food wasn't really on my mind. Lots of straight country riding, but lots of Americana
along the way. I saw a sign for "Show Pigs". Ok, so I am not totally urban but what the heck are show pigs? Really? Then, I came across a sign for "show cows". Wow, this country is so much more that most of us know. Really!

So I hit the Kid's place Sunday night and we hung out for the evening just her and I and it was a night of laughter and tears and I am so frigging blessed that I have her and the kids. But that evening was ours to spend the time together. And she has done awesome things with her house and it is a place for the kids and grandkids to all come... which is what she wanted. And she bitches about the mess they make. And she wouldn't have it any other way. Because she is the Gigi and her love for those grandkids is unconditional. And every time I come here, I wish my Buffalo was here to see who they have all become.

So I have been surrounded by kids and grandkids since I got to Troy. Every day has been full of little people and young adults that I see once a year and follow on social media as they grow and mature and it is amazing how much things change from year to year as I only see them once a year. We spent the night on the deck BBQing steaks and taters and Shani has this cool gazebo enclosure and koi and I love being with my Buffalo's Kidz.

Aunt Jewel and Junior fishing
So one of the grand daughters brought some friends over and they fished in the Kid's pond out front until long after dark. The boyz hung out and Aunt Jewel helped them fish. Aunt Jewel eventually took a dip after dark in the pond, which is far braver than this old broad who rode her motorcycle here would ever do.

Tonight they come again and we have a thunderstorm coming in. Tomorrow we are boating and fireworks and I will say goodbye for another year to the family my Buffalo gifted me. A Kid, four grandkids and four great grandkids with a fifth on the way. Wow. The Legacy Continues.
Junior fishing


1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like a great time.